1: freight car without permanent sides or roof [syn: flatcar, flat]
2: an open truck bed or trailer with no sides; used to carry large
open truck bed or trailer with no sides, used to carry large objects
such as heavy machinery, cars, or houses.
A railroad flatcar. eflatbed
7. flat - a suite of rooms usually on one floor of an apartment
Adj. 1. flat - having a horizontal surface in which no part is higher
or lower than another; "a flat desk"; "acres of level
farmland"; "a plane surface"
Synonyms: level, plane
2. flat - having no depth or thickness
3. flat - not modified or restricted by reservations; "a categorical
denial"; "a flat refusal"
Synonyms: categoric, categorical, unconditional
4. flat - stretched out and lying at full length along the ground;
"found himself lying flat on the floor"
5. flat - lacking contrast or shading between tones
contrasty - having sharp differences between black and white
6. flat - lowered in pitch by one chromatic semitone; "B flat"
natural - of a key containing no sharps or flats; "B natural"
sharp - raised in pitch by one chromatic semitone; "C sharp"
7. flat - flattened laterally along the whole length (e.g., certain
leafstalks or flatfishes)
8. flat - lacking taste or flavor or tang; "a bland diet";
"insipid hospital food"; "flavorless supermarket
tomatoes"; "vapid beer"; "vapid tea"
Synonyms: flavorless, flavourless, insipid, savorless, savourless,
9. flat - lacking stimulating characteristics; uninteresting; "a
bland little drama"; "a flat joke"
10. flat - having lost effervescence; "flat beer"; "a
11. flat - not increasing as the amount taxed increases
12. flat - not made with leavening; "most flat breads are made
from unleavened dough"
13. flat - parallel to the ground; "a flat roof"
14. flat - without pleats
15. flat - lacking the expected range or depth; not designed to
give an illusion or depth; "a film with two-dimensional characters";
"a flat two-dimensional painting"
16. flat - (of a tire) completely or partially deflated
17. flat - not reflecting light; not glossy; "flat wall paint";
"a photograph with a matte finish"
Synonyms: mat, matt, matte, matted
18. flat - lacking variety in shading; "a flat unshaded painting"
Adv. 1. flat - at full length; "he fell flat on his face"
2. flat - with flat sails; "sail flat against the wind"
3. flat - below the proper pitch; "she sang flat last night"
4. flat - against a flat surface; "he lay flat on his back"
5. flat - in a forthright manner; candidly or frankly; "he
didn't answer directly"; "told me straight out";
"came out flat for less work and more pay"
Synonyms: straight, directly
6. flat - wholly or completely; "He is flat broke"